Saturday, November 1, 2008

Running Again

It has been a whirlwind these past couple of weeks. I've taken on my new position at work. And by take it on I mean I've been working 12 hour days. Further, Virginia has had family in town each of the last two weekends. This hasn't been a good recipe for poker but I've managed to play a decent amount of poker. I've been playing quite a few of the new Matrix tourneys at FTP. I've found that they reward solid overall play because of the Matrix and it's nearly impossible to walk away empty handed. I did start really hot in my first few Matrix tourneys. Then I did the nearly impossible and blanked in a tourney. After about 3 in a row without turning a profit I was getting into dire straights at FTP. I was down to around $12 and decided to go for it in the $.05/$.10 NLHE Cap games. I started out poorly and dumped my 3rd hand for the full cap. I battled back to finish about $1 down. The next night I did the same thing and dumped a full cap on one of my first hands, only this time I crushed it after that and cashed out up around $6. I hit another Matrix again and killed it (so I thought) and then tonight absolutely dominated one. I moneyed in all 4 of the tourneys going 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This gave me a nice fatty $2.35 profit on the Matrix (that's actually pretty amazing if you're familiar with the structure) after chopping out my $1.25 investment.

At Bugsy's I was hovering just above $300 when I took a monster hit at $.05/$.10 and dropped $30. I bought in for $5 and got in against a tard with KK vs 22 and he hit a deuce. Okay. I bought back in for $10 to get my money back from said tard and got in again with AK vs his JTo on an A38 flop. K and Q came running and I nearly punched the monitor. I bought in for another $20 and dumped $15 of it before the dude left, thus removing my motivation to keep playing. It was poor discipline to keep buying in higher but it was far from a bad decision. I had a fish that kept putting his money in bad and eventually he was going to miss. Unfortunately, he left before he missed. He's noted and I WILL get my money back. Since then I've been on a terror in the $10 HU matches going 4 for 4 in the matches that I've played since that NLHE ring game. I'm going to keep playing those along with any smaller MTTs that I can get into. Hopefully I can win an entry into one of the BCS events that start Monday on the cheap as I can't shell out the $27.50 for an entry. I've never had a 4 figure score in a tourney and I'm well overdue.

Bugsy's: $310.03
FTP: $19.27

No comments: