Monday, August 18, 2008

Tunnel Vision

I played 1 $2 HU last night and won it pretty quickly. Virginia is on call tonight so I am logging some more hours. It's not going well. I lost 1 $2 HU match at FTP when a dude went 4 for 4 in all-ins against me during the match. I had him down to 180 chips pretty quickly and we shoved in. He took down the first hand with the 60/40 edge that held. The next hand was the same story, he got in with 60/40 and won it. Now he's at 620. We shove again and he has AJ vs my J2cc. No 3 outer for me and now he's at 1240. He shoves over my button raises several times and forces me to fold the garbage I kept getting. He shoved until I was down to about 1200 and woke up with KQo. I raised, he reraised, and I shoved big. He called me down with A6o and I never caught up. It was pretty gross to lose 3 coin flips, but it happens.

Things turned around when I sat down at a 6 handed $.10/$.25 NLHE table at Bugsy's. I was quickly up to $40 from my original buy-in and was looking for another $6-$10 so I could call it a night. That's when things began to unravel. I built up to $40 with some good hands. I called a small bet in a 4 handed pot with 65 on a board of 48T rainbow. The turn was the miracle 7 and I scooped about a $13 pot. A few hands later I limped with T9o up front and saw a nice J99 flop. The turn peeled a T which I checked again as there were 5 players and it checked around a second time. The river peeled a glorious Q making the 4 card straight and a spade flush. I checked knowing SOMEBODY had to bet and got a fish. He bet pot, I raised pot, he shoved, I insta-called. I'm guessing he had a K and not the flush. Then I raised AK and TT and took down some blinds and there I sat at $40. On the next orbit I got 2 red Q's and licked my chops. In hindsight, I was greedy. I wanted to hit $50 so I could quit. $50 also put me well over $500 at Bugsy's, so I was blinded by all sorts of things that I shouldn't have been thinking about. I had raised in early middle position and gotten called by the steal position. The flop came KT5 with 2 diamonds, I bet pot and the other guy shoved for about $8 more. I thought to myself "He probably has something like AK or KQ" and then called like a tard. The turn was a 2, and the river a T and he showed K2hh to scoop. It dropped me to about $30, I played a few more hands and the table fell apart leaving me with around $32. I took a short break and started playing full ring at the same limit and got trapped like a mink by KK. I limped under the gun with KJss and it folded to the button who raised pot. I figured something like AQ or AK and called. The flop was good, 864 with one spade. The BB led out for a pot bet and I called, thinking that I'd take it away on the next 2 streets. The turn was a T, he checked and I fired about 4/5ths of the pot. He min raised me, which I found confusing. If he had 75, I wouldn't have seen the flop bet. If he had 97, I wouldn't have seen it either so I thought. I read this bet to be AK or AQ trying to push me off any draw I might be on, so I called it, expecting to take it away on the river. Locked in on a hand now, I either wanted a J on the river or a blank. The river was the glorious J. He shoved and I beat him in the pot. He showed KK and I showed my humble face. In hindsight, the min check raise on the turn should've been a big tell of strength, but again, I had it in my mind that I couldn't lose a hand tonight. I did a pretty good job of battling back from being stuck $20 on that session and finished an acceptable -$6 despite some pretty frozen cards.

I haven't set any goals for my bankrolls this week as I will be very busy with the move and my crazy work schedule. I might slip a few $2 HU matches in tomorrow night because I'll have some free time, but Wednesday I'm booked, Thursday I'll be packing everything that isn't already packed, and on Friday I move. So these numbers may stay this way for the rest of the week, but I will post updates on my not-playing if I can't find any time to grind. Happy hunting.

Bugsy's: $491.99
FTP: $42.20

No comments: