Friday, August 15, 2008

Yuck

If you frequent my other blog, you'll know that today wasn't the best day for me to start with, but things just sort of fell apart at the poker table. Virginia wasn't going to be home until late, so I logged on to a $.10/$.25 NLHE table at Bugsy's and opened up a $2 HU at FTP. For the first little bit, I wasn't even going to blog about the play because it was pretty vanilla. I won probably $3 at Bugsy's and won 2 of 2 HU matches at FTP in pretty boring fashion, so I was just going to update my bankroll totals. Then I decided to play a 3rd HU match. And a 4th. You get the point. I ran so cold I thought I was an Eskimo marathoner. In the 3rd match I won 2 hands. That was out of the 23 we played. I don't know how I lasted that long. The guy had top pair or better every hand. Except twice. I sat in my chair saying "Second pair has to be good eventually, right?" Wrong. Second pair can lose every time. I know this now. Nobody would rematch me today win or lose, so I kept rolling through players. Same story. I'd miss flops, bet, they'd call. I'd miss flops, they'd bet and I'd have to fold. I think I went on a mini-heater and won 2 in a row at the end to get back up above $40, but I have a hard time calling it a heater since the poker gods owe me a fatty. One example why: I have Tc 4d and flop a nice 6c 7c 8c. I like it because I figure I've got the better club and I've got my gutterball straight possibility as well. The turn peels a 5c which is great except that it makes my opponents 4c 4s the ubernuts. Go skill. I love losing to straight flushes in HU. Granted, I lost a tiny pot there, this was exemplary of my night on FTP.

Bugsy's really wasn't noteworthy. I didn't get wrapped up in any big hand. The biggest was a $20 pot vs a tiny stack. He limped from middle position and I popped it late with AKo. It folded back to him and he reraised a little over minimum. It smelled like a weak pair to me so I decided to push him in for his $10. He used nearly all of his time and called. I didn't get to see what he had but the final board was QTxxJ to give me the nuts. Other than that, I won some tiny little pots by raising preflop and betting the flop, and I also lost a couple.

New Bankroll Totals:
Bugsy's: $484.14
FTP: $42.50

No comments: