Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Sickness

I played a $10 HU at Bugsy's tonight. It started out well. I took down a couple of big pots by leading out and quickly had the guy down to around 5k in chips. Then I doubled him with K4 vs his 78 on a K78 flop. Back to even, we battled back and forth for a bit when the sickness came up. I had QQ with blinds at 50/100. He min raised it to 200, which he had done before several times. I pot reraised to make it 600 and he min raised it to 1k. I waited to raise again but just decided to call because I was getting suspicious. The flop came out 7 high and he led out 2k. I really, really tanked. Ultimately, I decided that even though it looked like KK or AA, it just doesn't pay to lay this down in a $10 match. Had it been a $100 match, I would assume a higher quality player and would've pitched it, but he called and showed me the cooler AA. I blanked and was crippled to 600 chips. I managed to get up to 1350 when more sickness showed up. I had 24cc and he was playing me way too softly so I limped for 75 more with the blinds 75/150. He checked and we took an 833 flop with 2 clubs. Two checks and the Tc peeled on the turn. He bet, I shoved, and he insta-called with the 95cc. Not much I can do except go back in time and not play 24. I liked the way I played and am proud of myself for at least considering dumping the QQ. I may have been wrong to factor the game size into it, but I think in the long run it's stupid to lay that hand down in these smaller games. This guy was honestly just as likely to show me AK suited or 88, which is why I think the shove was +EV in the long run. Oh well, I'll hit it tomorrow again and make up for it. With Bugsy's huge starting stacks and drawn out structure they might as well just give me the money because I only drop to stone cold coolers or because I get bored with playing an hour and a half HU match for $10 and do something stupid. Good luck.

Bugsy's: $364.74
FTP: Whatever it was yesterday

No comments: